Do you have your birthday in January? If yes, then you are special. It is amazing to have your birthday at the starting of the year. Everyone will celebrate your big day as the occasion of the New Year. After all, we need almost a month to come off from the New Year vibes. But have you ever thought of the other thing amazing about the month of January? Its birthstone: GARNET.
Unlike other birthstones, Garnet is not just one mineral, but a group of several closely related minerals. Its every shade is as beautiful as the other.
Every birthstone has some amazing qualities. So, here is a list of amazing fun facts to help you get fascinated about Garnets stone.
1. Name of this birthstone is derived from the Greek word ‘granatum’. This word means the seed of fruit pomegranate. It may be because of the red colour of the Garnet, which also looks like a seed of pomegranate.
2. Garnet is one of the hardest gemstones. It scores between 6.5 and 8.5 on the Mohs scale of hardness. So, there is nothing to worry about scratches and damage.
3. Name of this birthstone, i.e. Garnet, is the name for the group of minerals that comes in rainbow colors. (From deep red to vibrant green)
The Red color transparent stone is mainly associated with January month.
4. Garnet birthstone is very easily available all over the world, including major mining places like Czech Republic, Russia, Greece, Madagascar, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, USA, and India.
5. In 3000 BC, Garnet was used as Egyptian jewelry. It was said to be a symbol of life.
6. As you know, Garnet is different from any other gemstone. It is not mined underground and is found in small pebbles present in water places and streams.
7. It is believed that people who are born in the first month of the year show the traits of affinity, loyalty, and purity.
8. They are believed to be strong and sociable in nature.
9. Garnet stone can remove negativity within the person who wears it and replaces it with positivity. It is used to increase persistence and self-confidence.
10. This birthstone was also used as ancient medicine. You must be thinking how? It is simple. This stone was placed inside the open wound to stop bleeding and quick recovery.
11. Even the ancient Indian and Persian warriors used to wear garnets as good luck. It was believed that this stone works as the evil eye and sent bolts of lightning to strike men down.
12. Also, some people believe that Garnets can bring bad luck to someone involved in theft and deceit.
13. The Garnet symbolizes deep and strong friendship.
14. Today, the garnet birthstone is found in a wide range of jewelry pieces, including rings and anklets. As you know it comes in the wide range of colors, you can choose according to your preference.
So, these were 14 fascinating facts about the January birthstone. No matter how you wear Garnet, this stone will be perfect for someone who is born in the first month of the year.
When it comes to gifting gemstone jewelry to your loved ones. This can be the perfect gift for both men and women born in the month of January.
Get the stunning details of your birthstone here:
June - Pearl, Alexandrite, and Moonstone
July - Ruby
August – Peridot, and Sardonyx
September - Sapphire
October - Opal, and Tourmaline
November - Topaz